JetBrains, like many other organizations, doe a yearly survey for anyone willing to take a couple minutes and submit some answers. As such all answers are based on the bias of those willing to provide some effort to complete the survey. That said; it does have some interesting insights into the trend and direction the software industry is pointing at the moment.
- Go has the larges margin of desire to start using.
- Over 1/3 of developers surveyed do not plan to try a new language in the next year… 🙁
- Code review tools / static analysis needs attention (14% and 13% usage)
- 75% of dev’s use a dark theme
- 1/3 of all applications are public cloud hosted
The survey has a lot more data in and nice visuals to help digest it all. Have a peak at is over on JetBrains: https://www.jetbrains.com/research/devecosystem-2018/